Which corporate leader wouldn’t wish to see their operations and development teams working seamlessly to define, deploy and maintain their customer services? Apart from corporate leaders, CFOs are also continuously searching for ways to bring down maintenance costs of their versatile services.
DevOps represents more than just a shift in how development, operations and the business stakeholders are collaborating technically to develop unique services. It is like a modern cultural shift within an organization, which has radically changed how technology and business relates to each other.
Such a cultural shift has encouraged technology organizations to move ahead at an enhanced pace than before; a pace that can match with the product and services lifecycles as well as business demands of time to market.
Organizations are making a fresh start with DevOps, and are showing true enthusiasm to understand how it delivers long-term business advantages. In order to truly understand the functional benefits of DevOps, enterprises need to take a detail overview of its various components. There is more than one way to implement DevOps and also it offers many smart components to choose from. As with any methodology, organizations must select DevOps components that are appropriate to their present situation and future requirements.
Infrastructure and Application Development
There are certain parts of DevOps that are highly focused on development; however, other organizational teams need to realize how their development teams are working, and things required to support them. Teams in majority of organizations looking after the development activities include people that are developing components of the application, solution, tools, API, or infrastructure.
Organizations are required to take care of following development related aspects:
- The first big step involves considering adoption of an agile methodology that can aptly fit in and remain common across the enterprise.
- Focus on small yet effective deployments as it can enable them in quick identification and repair of bugs. Moreover, it enables them in continuous/rapid deployment of new functions and features. This is one point where enterprises have to face the crucial test of showing quick reaction to changing business requests and markets.
- With respect to the deployment process, testing needs to be highly focused, well defined, and rapidly executed. This part is may be one of the most challenging one of the DevOps process to implement; however, this part also has the capability to deliver biggest impact.
- Focus on Infrastructure as code (IAC) as it is becoming quite an essential component of DevOps. IAC refers to implementing code development practices in the deployment and development of infrastructure configurations.
- Ensure that all application development activities are based on software as a service (SaaS) and APIs concepts. Such activities include source code, configuration controls and versioning, code and configuration repositories, API, and other services. Those activities ensure provisioning of compartmentalization and flexibility necessary for rapid and continuous deployment.
Operations and Orchestration
Enterprises should very well understand that operations are not that group down the floor to toss applications to them. DevOps demands operations and development to collaborate with each other like partners during the development, deployment and management of services.
Operations along with business stakeholders are required to get actively involved in the development process right from the start. Such an active involvement will allow for the definition of testing, supportability, security, and management aspects of the services.
- Similar to the code development around APIs, components associated with operations should be created as building blocks. This will increase supportability, flexibility, and issue resolution in real quick time.
- The suitability of the cloud platform, be it public, private, or hybrid, is very much dependent on the nature of an enterprise. However, tech experts favor the selection of hybrid platform, especially for agile enterprises. Hybrid platform speeds up deployment time for new services, upgrades, and resolution changes.
- Hybrid cloud platform coupled with standardized orchestration tools encourage different associated team members to work with greater efficiency and collaboration.
One can find many general supporting theories that have helped organizations to nurture a DevOps collaborative environment.
- Leadership theory: DevOps cannot sustain and deliver productive outcomes without strong leaders. Charismatic leaders focus on leading efforts by example instead of managing.
- External Technology partnership: External technology partnerships form the foundation of any organization project as it hold the key to keep projects moving. Based on their analytical abilities, skilled technology partners analyze which components an organization needs the most.
To know more or to talk to our expert write to us today: email@example.com